Saturday, August 6, 2011

Amsterdam, the REAL city of sin.


It’s hard even to begin to describe Amsterdam. The easiest thing to say… everything you’ve heard about Amsterdam is true. There are “coffee shops” EVERYWHERE, hundreds of prostitutes barely dressed, if at all, and sex shops galore. Yet, at the same time, the city manages to be quite beautiful!

I won’t say it’s the prettiest city I’ve seen by any means… and it’s certainly one of the more expensive (especially for food), but it’s really a nice spot. After I landed in Amsterdam and took the train into the city (not too long… 20 minutes, 4 Euros), I managed to catch a tram (which are useless if you ask me… have a metro or a bus system instead…) and find my hotel booked with my two American friends from Trier.

There’s not much, really, to say about Amsterdam. Let’s just say that I enjoyed Amsterdam, and won’t go into much detail. We did have a blast, though, exploring the city, going on a free walking tour, and taking pictures. Our 4 roommates from Northern Ireland were awesome too; we went on a pub crawl with them one night, and let’s just say… it was a blast.

We got lucky enough to catch Amsterdam at the beginning of Gay Pride Week, and as such the city was PACKED, especially with gay couples coming in by the trainload. Our last night, we got to watch the Drag Queen Olympics… a highly entertaining event, I must say. Everyone in the city was dressed in full pride garb, and were all having a good time. I don’t think that’s different than normal for Amsterdam, though.

I seriously don’t know how you could grow up in Amsterdam and make anything out of your life; it’s a city with the least morally-guided policies I’ve ever been, far outpacing Las Vegas in mentality. I certainly see no problem with its party/drug/mellow culture, but still… it’s a place that would appall your grandmother most likely.

The city itself is quite surprising in that it’s center is laced with canals just like in Venice. These, though are far more planned; even the map looks as though the city was well-thought out in both road planning and canal structure. This being said, I was lost the entire time I was in the city. Something in my mind just couldn’t grasp the logically laid-out city. Perhaps it’s due to my having been in Italy for so long and used to random streets and places.

Oh, and another thing: beware of bikers. They’re EVERYWHERE. I’ve never seen so many in my life, and they don’t have to obey regular traffic laws apparently. The entire time I was in the city, I had to be on guard from bikes ringing their bells impatiently to get through the multitudes of people. This, along with the above ground trams and endless vehicles, makes Amsterdam one of the least pedestrian friendly cities I’ve visited.

It was great to get to hang out with my good friends from Trier one last time, and otherwise Amsterdam was a great end to a whirlwind of traveling. Well, not quite: I’m sitting in the Amsterdam airport (huge, I may add) waiting on a flight to Dublin as I type! That’ll be my last stop… I hope to see the Guinness Factory while there briefly, and hopefully can do a TRUE pub crawl, Irish style, with another friend from Trier to end my travels in Europe. I’m even listening to Putumayo Irish music to get into the mood!

I’ve already gone through 2/3 of the pictures I’ve taken since Florence… all 1200 of them… and now only have those from Amsterdam left. My eyes are starting to cross…

It’s truly hard to believe I’ll be home in 4 days… and Stateside in 2! Wow… this time has truly flown. How is it August already?

No comments:

Post a Comment