Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 1: The Departure

Thanks to the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) and Armstrong Atlantic State University in Savannah, GA, I have been presented with the opportunity to study abroad in Trier, Germany, at the University of Trier. German universities run a different schedule than those in the United States, so my semester abroad takes place from roughly April through the end of July.

Armstrong has asked me to denote my experiences abroad to encourage fellow students to participate in the large exchange network. My goal is to briefly report my experiences regularly, at least once per week, to remind both myself and anyone interested of what adventures I encounter. I apologize in advance for the inevitable typos and other idiocies I write… and will firmly blame all such occurrences on the German language.

So, how about a few logistical matters in preparation for the trip…
Items to get in order: Passport, copies of passport, credit card. In my mind, aside from the actual packing (or lack thereof), these items are of the most immediate importance. Luckily, I had everything except for a credit card for international use already. Although I am in no way advocating any particular bank, my research revealed only Capital One bank to offer a card that does not charge an “international usage” fee on top of the exchange rate. Although I will be opening a German bank account as part of my exchange, I still feel it’s a good idea to have a U.S. backed card for “just in case.”

Due to the large time difference in departure times (approximately four months), I found it to be far cheaper to buy two separate one-way tickets to and from Germany from Savannah. Luckily, Starbucks has free internet now, else the hours and hours I spent researching flights would have likely cost more than the flight itself. Even so, in all actuality I have yet to purchase a return ticket. I’m surprised that I was able not to; even the check-in kiosk with United Airlines (the first leg of today’s journey to Trier) asked for my return-to-the-U.S. date. I therefore made one up.

For an extremely low price of about $430, I left Savannah’s airport around 2:30 today on what I like to call a “puddle jumper jet,” i.e., a plane obviously designed by SmartCar (otherwise known as the mousetrap car) in the hopes of cramping passengers to the point of ordering the ridiculously expensive cocktails. I am currently sitting in Washington D.C.’s Dulles International Airport (which, by the way, does not offer complimentary internet services like Savannah does…), and around 6:15 tonight will switch airlines and take an overnight flight to Copenhagen, Denmark. I can only hope the plane is slightly larger.

Once there (an approximately 8 hour trip, although the time change will throw me for a loop), I’m hoping to briefly explore the historic and highly colorful city for a few of the 8 hours I layover for. The final leg will take me from Copenhagen to Luxembourg City, Luxembourg, tomorrow evening.

As best my understanding of basic German can detail, the University of Trier’s orientation program begins on March 17, an extreme disappointment due to the scheduling conflict with Savannah’s St. Patrick’s Day celebrations. Even so, my arrival will be a day and a half earlier than the date I am to check into my dorm. Do I know what I will do until then? Not so much. But, I‘m sure something will present itself; I’ve heard hostels are easy to come by throughout Europe for a relatively low cost, so I’ll play it by ear.

The entire first month of my time in Trier will consist of solely German language classes for non-native speakers such as me. After this time, all international speakers will be required to take a language proficiency test to see what classes will be assigned in German and which in English. Luckily for me, I have reserved a number of elective hours in my Armstrong requirements for this exchange, and almost any class I take should fulfill these requirements.

I’ve never been the best of planners; I usually tend to play things by ear, per the English saying. (I’ll have to watch my euphemisms when abroad; Germans likely will think I’m a bit out of it. Eh, another euphemism.) However, the unfortunate passing of my grandfather this past weekend threw my last-minute planning away, and it is to him that I will dedicate this journal of unplanned events. In fact, I feel that my grandfather, whom most called Daddo, would appreciate and applaud my spontaneity… so for every unknown, here’s to Daddo!

I haven’t the faintest idea how all of this will work out; I find it best not to worry myself over such details. What I do know, though, is that I will likely never have an experience to rival what my summer months in Germany will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment